Monday, November 22, 2010

Expect the unexpected, how Project 365 became Project 352
I've been very unlucky with technology lately. First my iPhone died then my computer crashed and I lost all data on my hard drive. Gone! Vamoosh! Just like that. So, I'm sure you can see where this is heading... I lost photos from my Project 365. I'm so disappointed but I also know it could have been so much worse. I only lost about two weeks of photos. Not bad at all, right?

I guess that I can't really complete Project 365 in 365 days so maybe my project will now be named Project 352 since I lost 12 days.

It's interesting how lost I feel without those 12 days of photos. It was only two weeks but I have recognized and realized that everyday there is something worth capturing with my camera. Now that I've lost those two weeks I feel I'm missing some important stuff. But, of course this is all with a fresh mind and I'm sure in a few years from now it won't matter as much...I hope.

Moral of the story? Do you know what your back-up plan is? What are the things that are most important to you? What are you doing to protect them? At the moment I store my photos on an external hard drive and on two separate DVDs and on snapfish.com. That may seem like a bit much to some people but it's because of this system that I didn't lose more than two weeks. However, currently I'm re-assessing my frequency of back up and I'm thinking that each time I download my photos to my computer from my camera, I should have a copy in at least one of my back up locations.

Oh technology gods, I've meant you no harm but if there's something I've done to upset you, please let me know.

No comments: